Health Insurance Marketplace Alert for St. John Patients
TULSA, OKLA. (Nov. 14, 2016) — The Health Insurance Marketplace is open for enrollment nationwide now through Jan. 31. The Marketplace is a way for individuals and families to find health insurance that fits their budget and needs. People qualified for employment-based health insurance do not need to enroll in coverage through the Marketplace.
While St. John has been included in Marketplace networks in the past, insurance carriers have begun to limit their participation. As a result, St. John was not included as an in-network provider in any individual/family plans for 2017:
- Last year, UnitedHealthcare was the only health insurance carrier offering individual and family plans on the Marketplace that were in the St. John network. For 2017, UnitedHealthcare opted to exit the Marketplace.
- Like last year, CommunityCare has opted to not offer individual or family plans in the Marketplace for 2017. St. John will continue to participate in all CommunityCare small business plans.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma (BCBS) has limited the plans offered to individuals and families on the Marketplace for 2017. St. John was not included as an in-network provider in the BCBS choices offered to individuals and families. Patients who are enrolled with BCBS through the Marketplace will have a higher coinsurance and deductible if care is received from a St. John provider. For questions about how the changes BCBS has made will affect you, please call 1-855-798-2227.
Outside the marketplace, there are many health plan options for individuals and families that include St. John:
- St. John (including our hospitals, physicians and urgent care centers) continues to participate with BCBS for health plans that include the BlueTraditional, BlueChoice and BlueOptions provider networks.
- St. John also participates with CommunityCare, UnitedHealthcare, Aetna and many other insurance plans.
Financial assistance may be available to some patients if they need care through St. John Health System but do not have insurance. Please contact a St. John financial counselor at 918-744-2451 for more information. Financial counseling will be provided at point-of-care (for example, emergency room visit).
St. John shares frustration with patients and their loved ones that the health system will not be in network in 2017 for Marketplace plans. To voice concern on this matter, call the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-318-2596 or visit www.healthcare.gov/contact-us for more options.
For more information, please visit www.stjohnhealthsystem.com/marketplace or call the St. John PulseLine at 918-744-0123.