Trauma Symposium 2019
FRIDAY, MAY 3, 2019
7:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
University of Oklahoma-Tulsa Schusterman Center,
Learning Center Building, Perkins Auditorium
Sponsored by St. John Medical Center, An American College
of Surgeons Verified Level II Trauma Center
The faculty for the 2019 Trauma Symposium will bring knowledge and expertise in utilizing current technology and evidence-based guidelines to provide optimal care for the critically injured patient.
All-new lecture material, case presentations and interactive sessions make this a highly informative event for healthcare professionals who provide care to trauma patients.
After participating in the 2019 St. John Medical Center Trauma Symposium, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the appropriate nutritional support needed for a trauma patient
- Relate a suicide evaluation to trauma patients
- Examine the Oklahoma law on medical marijuana and its effect on trauma patients
- Explain the investigative process associated with the Tulsa Police Child Crisis Unit
- Apply trauma management skills to the management of a complex head injury patient
- Analyze the opioid epidemic in Oklahoma
- Critique appropriate medication selection for geriatric patients
- Understand the techniques detectives used to solved over 90% of murders for the past 3 years in Tulsa
- Discuss collaborative care among the specialty discipline in the setting of acute trauma care
The St. John Medical Center is accredited by the OSMA to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The St. John Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 7 AMA PRA Category 7 Credits. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
St. John Medical Center is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Continuing Nursing Education Group, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- Michael Charles, M.D., Medical Director, Trauma, St. John Ascension, Tulsa, OK
- Robert Martindale, M.D. PhD. Medical Director, Hospital Nutrition Services, Portland, OR
- David Walker, Retired Sargent Tulsa Police Department, Tulsa, OK
- Jason Beaman, D.O., Chair of Psychiatry, Oklahoma State University, Tulsa, OK
- J. Bryan Wesson, DNP, AGACNP-BC, ACNS-BC, CEN, Trauma, St. John Ascension, Tulsa, OK
- Casie Brim, DNP, APRN-CNP CCRN, Trauma, St. John Ascension, Tulsa, OK
- Charles Hill, M.D. Psychiatry, St. John Ascension, Tulsa, OK
- Mark Kraft, Corporal, Tulsa Police Department, Tulsa, OK
C. Jeffrey Sifers, Staff Attorney, Traffic Safety Resource Prosecutor, Oklahoma City, OK
Schedule of Events:
- 7:30 a.m. Registration and continental breakfast
- 8:00 a.m. Welcome and introductions, Michael Charles, M.D.
- 8:15 a.m. Nutritional Therapy in the Trauma Patient: Where Are We Now? And Where Are We Going?, Robert Martindale, M.D., PhD
- 9:15 a.m. Suicide & Trauma, Charles Hill, M.D.
- 10:15 a.m. Break – Vendor Expo (Founders Hall)
- 10:30 a.m. Moving Forward: Medical Marijuana & the Law, C. Jeffrey Sifers
- 11:30 a.m. TPD Child Crisis Unit: Overview and the Investigative Process, Cpl. Mark Kraft
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch (Founders Hall/Buffet)
- 12:30 p.m. Managing Challenging Trauma Cases, Michael Charles, M.D.
- 1:30 p.m. Opioid Epidemic in Oklahoma, Jason Beaman, D.O.
- 2:15 p.m. Break – Vendor Expo (Founders Hall)
- 2:30 p.m. The Do's and Don'ts of Geriatric Prescribing, J. Bryan Wesson, DNP, APRN, CNP-BC
- 3:30 p.m. Homicide it is NO mystery, Sgt. David Walker
- 4:30 p.m. The Journey for the Trauma Patient at SJMC, Casie Brim, DNP, APRN-CNP, CCRN
- 5:00 p.m. Closing Remarks – Michael Charles, M.D.
Non-Ascension St. John physicians: $35
Ascension St. John affiliated physicians: $0
Non-Ascension St. John (outside) registrants: $20
Ascension St. John employed non-physician registrants: $0
*Ascension St. John registrants must provide valid employee number at time of registration. Tuition fees include continental breakfast, beverage service, lunch and certificate of attendance. Power sources will be available for attendees who wish to use laptops or tablet computers during sessions.
T-shirts will be available for purchase. Cost is $15.
All attendees, please register by calling St. John PulseLine at 918-744-0123.
Course registration fee is refundable up to two weeks prior to the symposium. No refunds will be made after April 19.