Trauma Symposium 2018
FRIDAY, MARCH 23, 2018
7:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
University of Oklahoma-Tulsa Schusterman Center,
Learning Center Building, Perkins Auditorium
Sponsored by St. John Medical Center, An American College
of Surgeons Verified Level II Trauma Center
The faculty for the 2018 Trauma Symposium will bring knowledge and expertise in utilizing current technology and evidence-based guidelines to provide optimal care for the critically injured patient.
All-new lecture material, case presentations and interactive sessions make this a highly informative event for healthcare professionals who provide care to trauma patients.
After participating in the 2018 St. John Medical Center Trauma Symposium, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss gun violence as it relates to trauma response.
- Recognize the challenges posed by mass shooting trauma response.
- Describe the management of rib fractures in the trauma patient.
- Discuss the challenges in providing care for pelvic fractures.
- Employ critical thinking skills in the management of challenging trauma patients.
- Identify mysterious post intensive care syndrome.
- Illustrate methods of providing self-care when dealing with trauma responses.
- Marc Levy, M.D., FACS, Pediatric Surgeon, Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, Orlando, FL
- Rachel Tyler, M.D. Trauma Surgeon, Trauma Services, St. John Medical Center, Tulsa, OK
- Brent Norris, M.D., Orthopedic Surgeon, Orthopedic Trauma Services of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK
- Gajal Kumar, M.D., Director, Critical Care Trauma, St. John Medical Center, Tulsa, OK
- Michael Charles, M.D., Medical Director, Trauma, St. John Medical Center, Tulsa, OK
- Russell Dixon, Pharm. D., BCCCP, Clinical Pharmacist, Trauma Surgery, St. John Medical Center, Tulsa, OK
- Timothy Cathey, M.D., Medical Director, Emergency Systems, OK State Dept. of Health, OKC, OK
Schedule of Events:
- 7:30 a.m. Registration and continental breakfast
- 8:00 a.m. Welcome and introductions, Michael Charles, M.D.
- 8:15 a.m. Firearm Fatality Insight, Marc Levy, M.D.
- 9:15 a.m. Management of Rib Fractures in the Trauma Patient, Rachel Tyler, M.D.
- 10:15 a.m. Break – Vendor Expo (Founders Hall)
- 10:30 a.m. Pulse Nightclub: Mass Casualty Preparedness and Lessons Learned, Marc Levy, M.D.
- 11:30 a.m. Lunch (Founders Hall/Buffet)
- 12:00 p.m. Managing Challenging Trauma Cases, Michael Charles, M.D.
- 1:00 p.m. The Mysterious Post Intensive Care Syndrome, Russell Dixon, Pharm.D., BCCCP
- 2:00 p.m. Management of Pelvic Ring Injuries - The First 24 Hours, Brent Norris, M.D.
- 3:00 p.m. Trauma Care in Oklahoma: Where We Were and Where we Are Now 2006-2016, Timothy Cathey, M.D.
- 4:00 p.m. Break – Vendor Expo (Founders Hall)
- 4:15 p.m. Stress Management for the Trauma Provider, Gajal Kumar, M.D.
- 4:45 p.m. Closing Remarks – Michael Charles, M.D.
Non- St. John Health System physicians: $60
St. John Health System-affiliated physicians: $50
Outside non-physician registrants: $60
St. John Health System-employed non-physician registrants: $50
*St. John Health System registrants must provide valid employee number at time of registration. Tuition fees include continental breakfast, beverage service, lunch, t-shirt, and certificate of attendance. Power sources will be available for attendees who wish to use laptops or tablet computers during sessions.
Call the St. John PulseLine to register at, 918-744-0123. If paying by check, please mail your registration form to the following address:
St. John Medical Center - Trauma Services 1923 S. Utica Ave. Tulsa, OK 74104
Course registration fee is refundable, less a $25 administrative charge up to two weeks prior to the symposium. No refunds will be made after March 9.