Since 1975, the cardiac rehabilitation program at St. John Medical Center has helped thousands of individuals recover from cardiac events and resume active lives.
Early outpatient cardiac rehabilitation is designed for patients after they are discharged from the hospital.
The St. John Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation program is nationally certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), and is one of only eight certified programs in Oklahoma.
Cardiac rehabilitation patients follow individualized plans developed by the program’s dedicated registered nurses and exercise specialists. Prescriptions vary according to patients’ medical histories and preferences, but may include supervised exercise (such as walking, cycling and other aerobic activities), risk factor management classes, health education, patient and family counseling, and weight management education.
A physician referral is required for the program. A large portion of the 6- to 12-week program is covered by Medicare and most private insurers.
Qualifying diagnoses for the cardiac rehabilitation program include a recent:
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Coronary artery bypass graft (bypass surgery)
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (stent)
- Chronic heart failure
- Heart transplant
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Stable angina (positive myocardial perfusion scan or treadmill stress test)
Patients typically attend two to three sessions per week. St. John offers class times Monday-Friday. Sessions are available on the hour from 7-11am and 1-5pm.
- Strengthening and conditioning your heart and lungs
- Controlling weight and improving cholesterol levels
- Reducing your symptoms and chance of experiencing more cardiac events
- Earlier return to work and activities of daily living
- Increased self-confidence, creating healthy habits, and stress management
- Increased knowledge of medications
- Increased knowledge of the definition and management of cardiac disease
After successfully completing cardiac rehabilitation, individuals may choose to continue their exercise regimen at St. John Siegfried Health Club. Rehabilitation program graduates receive discount health club membership rates and continued assistance from highly-trained staff of St. John fitness professionals. To learn more about the St. John Siegfried Health Club, click here.
St. John Cardiac Rehab
Mary K. Chapman Health Plaza
1819 E. 19th Street
Tulsa, OK 74104